Northanger Abby by Jane Austin


Four Stars


It's weird but I don't think I've ever written a review for a Jane Austin book. She's one of my favorite authors. And although you may find it weird that I'm reviewing a book by a dead author, I will tell you that I do not review strictly for other people. I review for myself as well.  I just read so much that ,I've found, it's good to keep your thoughts in order.  Anyway, moving on. I will be reviewing one of her books each month starting this month and it's not going to be like all my other reviews. These reviews will be based simply on whether or not I enjoyed them and why and what I learned and such. So here goes:


Northanger Abby is, so far, my least favorite of her works. Not because it was bad, but because it wasn't her best.  This may be due to the fact that it was her last published novel and she was not in the prime of her writing skills. I still enjoyed it because it was slightly mysterious and I often questioned ideas and actions of the characters. You know how sometimes too many questions can just leave you hating the book because the author told you nothing??? Well it wasn't like that. I kept getting hooked with each question I asked.  I liked that she kept the whole "questioning" thing a reoccurring thing through out the book. 


I like how she put a twist on the main character's friend's engagement between her friend and her brother. Very interesting that the man she was interested was the brother of the man who ruined the engagement. That was a mouth full. Feels good to get it out :]


Again moving on.


I like the girlish qualities of the main character, Catherine. It really puts into perspective the state of maturity she is in at this time of her life...not a lot. But it's perfect for her character.  Many authors of novels, I've noticed, lack the ability to  create a character that matches their plot or a plot that matches their character. Not that this is easy, but I have noticed. Crazy, no?


It's pretty clean for the most part, concerning sensuality and such. I haven't run into too much trouble with Jane Austin. 


Well this where I stop and hope that someone reading this will leave a comment on what they thought about the book (also hoping you've read it). I don't want to give away to much in fear that you'll be intimidated by my opinion or you haven't read the book.  Enjoy!

2 Response to "Northanger Abby by Jane Austin"

  1. Evie Says:

    I've been meaning to read more Jane Austen's novels and this one is definitely on my TBR list. Your review made me want to read it even more!
    And you know what? i really like the fact that you reviewed this book, it's great to share good books, not only recently published one.
    I hope you will review more of Austen's work!

  2. Unknown Says:

    Thank you. I will be writing a review once a week on one of her books. Or should I maybe do once a month to stretch it out some? Hmn. I'm not sure now...

    Yeah, I really liked the old-school mystery theme to it. Make sure you comment later when you have read it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Post a Comment